The GPO was crowned what we may describe as a “flag pole” however in a city built 6 miles
from its Port it was the end messenger of successive like signalling posts from Port Adelaide to inform
the colonists what ships were docked to warrant the journey from the city! Also note the cattle gates to
prevent droving heards entering the Square and partaking of the fresh grass.
Original wood engraving, hand coloured.
Published Melbourne, c.1884 .
Size of image 232mm x 175mm
Condition = Good, hand coloured
Back to SOUTH AUSTRALIAN SCENES
LOUIS HENN & Co, (Colonial Lithographer and Artist 1882-1884)
Back to HOME